The 11th Annual Passionate Heart Awards were handed out Tuesday at a luncheon in Grande Prairie.
The awards recognize those in the Peace Region who have gone above and beyond contributing to local social services.
"We work so closely with a lot of these agencies in the community, and we see the good work that they're doing. And we wanted to take an opportunity to bring them together and celebrate their victories and their successes, and just give them that opportunity to get together and celebrate each other," said Kathleen Turner, Director at Family and Community Support Services.
They handed out nine awards in four different categories, one of the recipients being Connie Miller with PACE. She took home the Chris Henderson Lifetime Service Award.
Miller says she only had a three-year plan to stay in Grande Prairie.
"I was really quite worried about my career when I came up here 25 years ago. I'm so very grateful now," she explained. "It's turned out to be not only wonderful opportunities, but working with wonderful colleagues."
According to Turner, the need for services has increased over the last couple years as the economy has taken a dip.
"We're seeing people come through our doors that we never would've seen before," said Turner. "We're finding unique and special ways of not only helping each other, and helping those individuals, but this (Passionate Heart Awards) is a great way to then celebrate."
The following are this year's recipients:
Passionate Heart Exceptional Service Award:
- Andrew Lojczyc – Beaverlodge Elementary
- Margo Whythe – Next Steps Employment
- Lisa Cage- Ostaszewski – Beaverlodge Elementary
- Tracy Kosik – Alberta Health Services
- Wanda Burt – Canadian Mental Health Association
Passionate Heart Exceptional Team Award:
1. HIV North Outreach Team - Jenn Baird, Taylor Hurley, Steve Robinson, Jessica Hubley, Jennifer Spencer, Ellen Bowles
2. St. Patrick Catholic School Grande Prairie Staff - Jennifer Brown, Gwenda Jean Pierre, Patricia Brushett, Harriet Lidgett, Rhonda Carroll, Liz Lueken, Erin Coffin, Pam Malone, Gaby Comeau, Nancy Maxsom, Monie Desmarais, Matthew Maynard, Simone Dixon, Amanda Morrison, Melissa Gast, Gayle Nanninga, Bernie Griffin, Tara Pike, Carrie Sutton, Trevor Prichard, Jennifer Thome, Rebbeca Pook, Kelsey Urban, Tammy Rowland, Paul Urbiztondo, Anita Scarborough, Sherry Wishnowski, Russ Snoble, Kristy Solorzano, Mary St. Hilarie, Angie Stockley
Passionate Heart Business Award:
- Arcand Accounting Beaverlodge (Roger Arcand, Sandra Backmeyer, Leona Hanson, James Ivers, Denise Macklin, Jeannine Wood)
The Chris Henderson Lifetime Service Award:
Connie Miller – PACE Grande Prairie
The event is sponsored by FCSS, the City and County of Grande Prairie, Beaverlodge, Hythe, Wembley and Sexsmith.
- Trevor Snell